Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Facts of Life.

Working at the CPF Board Service Centre has been a great lesson for me.

Juz from answering the numerous calls the whole day, I get an overview of how life is like to the lower-income half of the Singapore people. Their life is where a single dollar counts in every part of their lives. A single call resulting in a single bonus can lead to them living with hope for another day. Sometimes listening to the old folks telling me about their lives really pains me. I do hope the G-Men can do what they can to help them. Everyone must play their part.

Also, the old folks rely very much on hearsay, some ignorant people might completely distort the real deal, thus making them confused, and us CSOs even more blur in processing their requests. Some examples include, "Put $50 into ur CPF A/C to get $400", "Don't work, money will come on its own." There's no free lunch in this world, everyone's out to work, earn their keep. Even for myself, its the case.

But there are really some kind souls out there, who are willing to help these old dudes out, doing them a unconditional fav. God bless them.

Once, this old auntie was telling me about her job, I needed to know her job scope to better provide her with an answer.
She said in Hokkien, "I cook curry chicken, when there's a funeral or wake. I'm there to cook. Do you need any?"
I was like, " Er. no (...), then i went on to explain how she could get her bonus.

Another case, this old man was telling me his family background, he screwed/complained/chat with me for whole 30 mins about it. He sounds so down. No $, only able to rent a place, but then can't really read well, jobless. But due to the address he stated, he could only be paid 200 bucks, since it was located in a high-end area. I did my best to be professional, and give a caring ear at the same time, but it wasn't easy. Both ends are really far apart.

Sometimes I wish I can do more. I do wish that these old folks are happy, everytime I hang up the phone after the conversation.

There's also those filthy rich, who also want such gains. I depise them, since their pockets are already lined up with cash, why still seek the government?

I'll dedicated the time i'm gonna spend at work to making life better for them in anyway i can.

Blessing are needed.

1 comment:

cindee said...

Nice reflection. It is always so wonderful to know that every situation in life presents us with lessons so meaningful to learn from. Ur job now must have gave you insights about life whcih i'm glad u r sharing w us. take care.